Grandma Gert's Recipes

My grandmother's favorite recipes collected over her lifetime.

Saturday, September 10, 2005

Pumpkin Bread

So requests have come in for more stories of my grandma and me. I remember from an early age sitting on a stool in the kitchen watching my grandma cook and bake. I think, though, that of all the wonderful things she made, the darker breads were to me, a feat of magic. She used an old coffee can with both ends cut out and steamed the breads. My young mind just could not grasp how she did it - and to tell the truth, I don't think I understand it to this day! But I do remember the breads were absolutely wonderful. I hope you enjoy this recipe from grandma's little red recipe box.

3 1/2 oz. flaked coconut
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. soda
1 1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pie spice
3 eggs
16 oz. pumpkin
2 1/4 cup brown sugar firmly packed
3/4 cup salad oil
1 cup chopped pitted prunes

Preheat oven to 350 degrees or start kettle for a steaming. Spread coconut on cookie sheet and toast in oven, stirring frequently. Remove and set aside. Sift flour, soda, salt, spice. In large bowl beat eggs until frothy. Beat in pumpkin, brown sugar, and oil. Stir in flour mixture, then ready to eat prunes and coconut.

To bake: pour batter into well greased 2 qt. tube mold and bake 1 hour. Let cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes.
To steam: pour bater into well greased 2 qt. tubeless mold. Cover top with buttered waxed paper, then foil. Tie tightly. Steam for 2 hours. Let cool in mold on rack 5 minutes. Turn out of mold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter

Powered by Blogger


Blog contents copyright Ken Frantz © 2004