Grandma Gert's Recipes

My grandmother's favorite recipes collected over her lifetime.

Friday, September 15, 2006

Watermelon Pickles

I'm sure I've probably put a watermelon pickle recipe up before, but I've come across at least a dozen recipe cards with various forms on it. Watermelon pickles are indeed one of my favorites and so I feel worthy of another listing.

Soak the rind of one melon overnight in salt (4 Tbsp. salt to each quart of water). Drain and cover with clear water. Cook till tender and drain. Make a syrup of:
4 cups sugar
2 cups vinegar
4 tsp. cloves
8 sticks of cinnamon
1/2 tsp. mustard seed

Heat syrup and spices to boiling and let stand fifteen minutes. Add melon rind and cook till clear and transparent. Seal in jars while boiling hot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter

Powered by Blogger


Blog contents copyright Ken Frantz © 2004