Grandma Gert's Recipes

My grandmother's favorite recipes collected over her lifetime.

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Mustard Pickles

I've been asked for another Grandma Gert memory and there are so many, but I think this one will bring a smile, I know I laugh every time I remember it. Grandma was not good in a crisis. To say she would absolutely panic was an understatement. I was about 7 years old when I accidentally shut the car door on my index finger. I was at grandma's and I ran into the house crying and my finger with a bleeding gash. Grandma ran to the bathroom to get a bottle of disinfectant, screaming the whole way that I was going to lose my finger. She returned with the bottle of disinfectant, stuck my finger in the top of the bottle and turned it upside down. If a little was good, the whole bottle better. Only after she gave a sigh of relief that she saved the day did I ask her why was my finger in a bottle of toilet bowl cleaner! (p.s. I was just fine and I have all my fingers today).

4 quarts green tomatoes
1 qt. small onions
3 qts. cucumbers
1 head cauliflower
6 red peppers
6 green peppers

Cut up and let stand overnight in weak brine. In morning cook up in the same water until tender, drain and pour over them the following dressing:

3 Tbsp. mustard
1 Tbsp. turmeric
1 Tbsp. celery seed
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1 qt. vinegar
1/2 cup water

Can while hot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter

Powered by Blogger


Blog contents copyright Ken Frantz © 2004