Grandma Gert's Recipes

My grandmother's favorite recipes collected over her lifetime.

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Fresh Apple Cake

I remember fall trips to my great-great aunt's farmhouse. There was an orchard in the back where we'd go and pick apples. I always enjoyed the fall trip better than the spring trip, because in the spring we'd dig up dandelion greens and I can't say I ever enjoyed the taste of them.

1/4 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg (well beaten)
1 cup flour
1 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
2 cups chopped apple
1 cup coarsely chopped nuts

Lightly grease (bottom only) 8x8x2 pan. Cream shortening and sugar. Add egg. Add apples and mix only until blended. Add dry ingredients in thirds. Mix only until smooth - Do not overmix. Blend in chopped nuts. Turn into pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Serve plain or with whipped cream.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter

Powered by Blogger


Blog contents copyright Ken Frantz © 2004