Grandma Gert's Recipes

My grandmother's favorite recipes collected over her lifetime.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Strawberries poached in honey syrup

I saw this recipe and had to laugh. It was a family affair to go strawberry picking every year. I never did well in the fields because I ate more strawberries than I put in my basket. Grandma used to be horrified because the berries hadn't been washed and hulled. She was sure I was going to drop over dead any moment from eating those berries that may have some dirt on them. It's amazing how you don't see the ads for the berry farms much anymore.

Wash and stem 1 quart fresh ripe strawberries. Combine 1/4 cup honey, 2 Tbsp. sugar and 2/3 cup water in a saucepan. Boil rapidly for 5 minutes. Reduce heat, drop in the whole strawberries and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and let berries cool to room temperature in the syrup.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter

Powered by Blogger


Blog contents copyright Ken Frantz © 2004